Keep eating right and stick with it. One week down! Keep in mind that if you have a weight issue, and we all have one to some degree, the following may scare you enough to make the rest of this challenge a breeze!
Check out these statistics from the National Institute of Health about the US population:
- Only 31% of Americans engage in physical activity on a weekly basis
- 40% of adults report no physical activity at all
- Only 35% of high school students participate in 60 minutes of sports at least 5 times per week
- On average, obese people spend $1,429 more in health care each year than the rest of the population
- Each year, obesity is linked to 112,000 excess deaths due to cardiovascular disease and 15,000 excess deaths due to cancer when compared to healthy-weight individuals. Generally, 35,000 more obese people die from non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases than non-obese each year.
- In 1960, there was only 13.4% of the adult population that was considered obese. Now, it's 35.1%.
Check out this chart for overweight and obesity by age group: