Weight is a big issue that leaves many feeling discouraged and confused. I completely understand frustration with a diet and exercise plan that fails to produce results. Weeks and months of eating clean and training in a body that won't cooperate is enough to send anyone right back to the couch with a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Here's the good news - weight loss resistance is not your fault. Weight loss is not a simple math equation of calories in vs. calories out. There is an underlying imbalance that is keeping you from releasing the excess weight.
Stress, lack of sleep, low quality food, and isolation all contribute to a body that is out of sync with its natural rhythm. Returning one's body back to neutral allows it to release what it no longer needs. In this case, excess weight.
Face it, we aren't super beings. We take on too many physical, emotional, and social demands. Without enough support and recovery to offset the energy required, burn out creeps in with fatigue, lethargy, and eventually, illness. Illness for many results in weight loss resistance, including low energy, depression, intestinal issues, disturbed sleep patterns, and even low sex drive.
To restore balance in your body, take inventory of these 5 areas:
1. Self discovery. Your situation isn't helpless. There is no one like you. You are worth the effort to determine what works best for you.
2. Eat well. Eat the highest quality food you can find. Many imbalances are directly related to poor nutrition. The simple commitment to more produce and elimination of packaged foods will result in a huge shift toward better health. Beginning today, include one more serving of vegetables every day. Here is a great way to get a good boost of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
3. Move. Our bodies crave movement. To nudge weight resistance out of your life, you'll need to adopt a daily habit of exercise. Even if you don't feel like it, get up and move.
4. Sleep. Re-balancing your life means getting enough sleep every night. This is one area you can no longer ignore. Research points to lack of sleep as a key component in weight loss resistance. 8 hours of sleep provides time for recovery, restoration, and metabolic activity. If you are serious about reclaiming your ideal body weight, it is time to become serious about sleep. Just like children and dogs, we function best when we get a nap and go to bed on time.
5. Community. Time and time again, I've seen the support of community bring about the greatest change. Whether you join a group program, get an accountability partner, or seek out assistance from a professional, your efforts will be rewarded. Connecting with people who are also working to improve the quality of their lives will improve your rate of success.
When your body won't let go, it's holding on for some reason. It's up to you to uncover why and take steps to improve your health. Lifestyle change takes a commitment to do what you normally do differently. Begin today by making the best possible choice with regard to food, movement, and sleep. The more consistent you are, the sooner your body will restore normal balance. With stress reduced, sleep restored, energy improved, and movement increased, your body will happily let go of unnecessary weight.